Editors note: The purpose of this series is to help our readers think through what prayer is and how they can improve their prayer lives.
- Brian Hedges looked at John Owen on the work of the Holy Spirit in prayer.
- Today C. Walter wrote on the Lord’s Prayer.
- Chris wrote on the practice of private prayer.
- Chris writes on the practice of corporate prayer.
- Mike Boling wrote on four keys to a consistent and purposeful prayer life.
- David Dunham wrote on the importance of prayer in counseling.
- Matthew Fretwell wrote on three ways to improve your prayer life.
- Dave writes on prayer and the grace of God.
- Joey wrote on the four functions of prayer.
- Chris wrote on seven ways to pray for persecuted Christians.
- Mathew Sims wrote on God our Father.
- David Dunham writes on the importance of theology to prayer.
- Jason Garwood wrote on prayer a precious remedy against the flesh’s devices.
- Brian Hedges wrote on five things he’s learned about prayer.
- Dave wrote on the importance of spiritual warfare and the power of Scripture.
- Today Dave shares seven books he recommends on prayer.
This month on Servants of Grace we’re considering the topic of prayer. Prayer like Bible reading is an area where many Christian struggle. While most Christians know that their prayer lives aren’t what they should be what we need to understand is Who we’re praying to. Many Christians think they need to clean themselves up before they pray. If it isn’t feeling like they need to clean themselves up then it’s that they feel they don’t spend enough time in prayer, so they think why pray at all. Few things expose our inadequacy more than our anemic prayer lives which is why the Christian market is always filled with books on prayer. Here are seven of my recommendations on the subject of prayer.
- Prayer by Tim Keller—This book by Tim Keller combines biblical teaching, a deep dive into the Reformers views on prayer and how to improve our prayer lives. I highly recommend this book. Buy the book at Amazon, or WTS Books.
- Praying Backwards by Bryan Chapell—This book will help readers to pray in Jesus name and trust the power of the Holy Spirit. Buy the book at Buy the book at Amazon, or WTS Books.
- The Prayer of the Lord by R.C. Sproul— Sproul walks his readers through the Lord’s Prayer and calls his readers to adopt the Lord’s or Disciples prayer as their model. Buy the book at Amazon, or WTS Books.
- A Praying Life by Paul Miller. This book will help Christians understand the primacy of prayer in the Christian life. This book will equip Christian readers to commit themselves to pray knowing that God is willing and able to hear and answer their prayers. Buy the book at Amazon, or WTS Books.
- A Call To Prayer by J.C. Ryle. This book will help readers understand the importance of private prayer, along with the blessings of prayer and the grave dangers of prayerlessness. Buy the book at Amazon, or WTS Books.
- The Valley Vision—a great collection of Puritan prayers. Buy the book at Amazon, or WTS Books.
- A Call to Spiritual Reformation by Dr. D.A. Carson. Buy the book at Amazon, or WTS Books.
Your turn: What books would you add to this list?