Welcome to the 140th episode of Equipping You in Grace. On today’s episode, Dave Jenkins talks with Derek Thomas about his book Heaven on Earth What the Bible Teaches about Life to Come (Christian Focus, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Why it’s so important that Christians believe they go to heaven immediately after they die.
- How growing in our understanding of heaven helps God’s people appreciate the already/not yet of the Christian life in the present and the future.
- How knowing the journey ahead by faith in Christ enables God’s people with certainty to face it with courage.
- Why as Christians look ahead to their life in heaven they have a million reasons to be encouraged.
- Why it’s important for pastors, ministry leaders, and Bible study leaders to preach, teach, and write on heaven and hell.
- The heart of the worship of God’s people and how it is to be reflected in Jesus Christ.
- What heaven will be like.
- How to help people who struggle fear of death and find it hard to sleep stop being afraid of death.
- How understanding heaven helps Christians to grow in a biblical worldview.
About the Guest
Derek Thomas, originally from Wales, is the Senior Minister of First Presbyterian Church, Columbia, South Carolina and Chancellor’s Professor at the Atlanta campus of Reformed Theological Seminary. He is also a Teaching Fellow with Ligonier Ministries.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!