On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, Dave Jenkins and Costi Hinn discuss his personal involvement in the prosperity gospel, the history of the prosperity gospel, and how to respond to it and warn people about it, along with his new book, God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel: How Truth Overwhelms a Life Built on Lies (Zondervan, 2019).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- What precisely the prosperity gospel is.
- The history of the prosperity gospel and how it came into being.
- Why warning people about the prosperity gospel is essential.
- The proper response to the prosperity gospel.
- The importance of understanding the sovereignty of God.
- How the prosperity gospel teaching is at odds with the sovereignty of God.
- What Costi’s background growing up the nephew of a famous televangelist and his father in pastoral ministry was like.
- When Costi first began doubting the prosperity gospel.
- How the prosperity gospel uses media to advance its message.
- The need for expository preaching.
- How Christians should respond to suffering in their lives.
- Why questioning the teachings, Costi grew up with was so hard for him.
- The danger of a “performance-based” mindset in the Christian life and the prosperity gospel.
- The importance of the home to ministry.
- When Costi realized that the lavious lifestyle he and his family were living was supported by people who didn’t live anything like he and his family did.
- How for Costi meeting his wife helped changed the trajectory of his life from being in the prosperity gospel and thinking ministry was a higher priority than marriage to a more biblically balanced view.
- Costi’s relationship with his family looks like today.
- The importance of Christians getting in a solid local church.
- The importance of serving in a solid local church for the Christian life.
About the Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. Ifyou like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!