Welcome to the 142nd episode of Equipping You in Grace. On today’s episode, Dave Jenkins talks with Brian Hedges about his book, Watchfulness: Recovering a Lost Spiritual Discipline (Reformation Heritage, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- The need for guardrails in the Christian life.
- Recognizing our limitations in light of the sovereignty of God.
- Why watchfulness is neglected in contemporary Christian literature.
- In what way watchfulness is the whetstone of the spiritual disciplines.
- Some of what the Puritans taught on watchfulness.
- The most critical components of being watchful in the Christian life.
- Some practical steps Christians can take to begin to cultivate watchfulness in their own lives.
- How Christians should remain watchful for one another.
- How Pastors can grow in their own practice of pastoral watchfulness of the flock.
- How watchfulness helps Christians to have a biblical worldview.
About the Guest
Brian G. Hedges is lead pastor of Fulkerson Park Baptist Church in Niles, Michigan. He has written a number of books, including With Jesus, Christ All Sufficient, and Christ Formed in You.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to his wife, Sarah. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, the Host and Producer of Equipping You in Grace Podcast, and is a contributor to and producer of Contending for the Word. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021), The Word Matters: Defending Biblical Authority Against the Spirit of the Age (G3 Press, 2022), and Contentment: The Journey of a Lifetime (Theology for Life, 2024). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.