On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, Dave and Tim Patrick talk about the problem of biblical illiteracy and expository preaching, how expository sermons help congregants grow in their handling of the Word, along with his book, The Whole Counsel of God: Why and How to Preach the Entire Bible with Andrew Reid (Crossway, 2020)
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Why it matters what our convictions about the Bible are so that we preach sermons that are ground in the Bible.
- The problem of biblical illiteracy and expository preaching.
- The importance of preaching sermons rooted in the gospel and what this looks like in preaching.
- How expository sermons help congregants grow in their handling of the Word.
- The benefits of expository preaching for the pastor.
- Advice for pastors looking to help their congregation understand the value of studying Scripture throughout their lives.
- Some benefits of a long-term approach to sermon planning for the congregation.
About the Guest
Tim Patrick (PhD, Macquarie University) is principal of the Bible College of South Australia, an affiliated college of the Australian College of Theology, where he lecturers in theology and practical ministry. Before moving into theological education and ministry formation, Tim served in local church ministry for ten years, where he worked with a number of congregations and led a number of revitalization projects.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show). You can also connect with me on Twitter at @davejjenkins, on Facebook or via email to share your feedback.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.