On today’s Equipping You in Grace episode, Dave Jenkins and Tim Chester discuss the importance of the Puritans for the Christian life and ministry, along with his book, The Glory of Grace: An Introduction to the Puritans in Their Own Words (Banner of Truth, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How meditating on Scripture can help Christians address various issues in their lives.
- Why Christians should read church history.
- Why Christians should read and study the Puritans.
- How do the Puritans help Christians grow in their understanding of sanctification.
- How William Bridges help Christians facing suffering learn to find comfort in their afflictions.
- How Jeremiah Burroughs teaching on contentment helps Christians learn to let God’s Word shape how they view their lives and their relationship with God.
- Seeing church history as God’s story in the life of His people.
- Help for those beginning to read church history and the Puritans.
- The Puritans view of God and how they applied it to all of life.
About the Guest
Tim Chester is the pastor of Grace Church Boroughbridge in North Yorkshire and a faculty member of Crosslands Training, as well as being the author of over 30 books. He has a PhD in theology and was previously Research and Policy Director for Tearfund UK. He has been an adjunct lecturer in missiology and reformed spirituality.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.