On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, Dave talks with Nancy Pearcey about how men are under attack in secular culture and media and how Christians should respond, how Christian men should deal with their emotions, fathers and their role with sons, dealing with abuse in the church, and her new book, The Toxic War on Masculinity: How Christianity Reconciles the Sexes (Baker Books, 2023).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How men are under attack by our secular culture and secular media and how Christians should respond.
- Why Christians are against abuse of any kind.
- How men are torn between two competing scripts, the secular and the biblical today.
- Why Christian men who are faithful in their church attendance have the lowest levels of abuse and divorce.
- What specific repentance and confession look like in marriage and our relationships with one another.
- What biblical manhood and biblical courage looks like in our home, church, and society.
- How biblical men deal with their emotions.
- The history of the idea of toxic masculinity and the long-term strategy for preventing toxic masculinity.
- Why Christians fathers investing in their sons is so vital.
- Practical steps fathers can take to be more involved with their sons and daughters.
- How local churches can respond more effectively to abuse in Christian homes.
About the Guest
Nancy Pearcey is the author of The Toxic War on Masculinity: How Christianity Reconciles the Sexes, as well as Love Thy Body, The Soul of Science, Saving Leonardo, Finding Truth, and Total Truth. She is professor and scholar in residence at Houston Christian University. She has been quoted in The New Yorker and Newsweek, highlighted as one of the five top women apologists by Christianity Today, and hailed in The Economist as “America’s pre-eminent evangelical Protestant female intellectual.”
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show). You can also connect with me on Twitter at @davejjenkins, on Facebook, or via email to share your feedback.
Thank you for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace.
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, the Host and Producer of Equipping You in Grace Podcast, and is a contributor to and producer of Contending for the Word. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021) and The Word Matters: Defending Biblical Authority Against the Spirit of the Age (G3 Press, 2022). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.