On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, I talk with Andrew about the life and ministry of John Owen, along with Owen’s teaching on Scripture and the Holy Spirit, and Volume 7 of Owen’s work on The Holy Spirit (Crossway, 2023).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Who John is and why he continues to have an influence on the Church today.
- Some unique contributions this edited volume makes to the work of Owen.
- How a right view of the Holy Spirit as described by Owen help the Christian today.
- How a right view of Scripture as described by Owen help the Christian today.
- How Owen’s teaching on the doctrine of illumination help Christians today.
- Some of the rules of biblical interpretation as taught by Owen and how these rules can help Christians read their Bible’s better.
- Why biblical interpretation and the Church matters and how this can help Christians today.
- Why we need men like Owen today and what such men would look like today.
About Our Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show). You can also connect with me on Twitter at @davejjenkins, on Facebook, or via email to share your feedback.
Thank you for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace.
Dave Jenkins is happily married to his wife, Sarah. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, the Host and Producer of Equipping You in Grace Podcast, and is a contributor to and producer of Contending for the Word. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021), The Word Matters: Defending Biblical Authority Against the Spirit of the Age (G3 Press, 2022), and Contentment: The Journey of a Lifetime (Theology for Life, 2024). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.