On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, Dave Jenkins and Dr. Robert Letham talk about what Sola Scriptura is and why it’s not opposed to tradition, the place of church history in the Christian life, questions and questioning in the Christian life, along with his book, Systematic Theology (Crossway, 2019).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- The Sacraments as one of the most neglected doctrines in the Church today, and how to recover them in the Church today.
- What does Sola Scriptura mean, and why is it not opposed to tradition.
- Why do you start with the doctrine of God in this work and not with the doctrine of Scripture.
- The place of questions and questioning in the Christian life to develop our convictions and grow in a biblical worldview.
- How historical theology informs a good understanding of systematic theology.
- What union with Christ is and how it relates to communion with God, and it’s essential to the Christian life.
- What it looks like to grow in maturity as a Christian theologian.
- Some practical markers Christians should look for and grow in as Christian theologians.
About the Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show). You can also connect with me on Twitter at @davejjenkins, on Facebook or via email to share your feedback.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to his wife, Sarah. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, the Host and Producer of Equipping You in Grace Podcast, and is a contributor to and producer of Contending for the Word. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021), The Word Matters: Defending Biblical Authority Against the Spirit of the Age (G3 Press, 2022), and Contentment: The Journey of a Lifetime (Theology for Life, 2024). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.