In this issue of Theology for Life Magazine, we’ve been considering the subject of the sufficiency of Scripture and how it helps Christians to no longer be tossed to and fro (like a wave in the ocean), but to stand wholly on the Word of God no matter what ministry they have. We understand that we haven’t covered everything on this topic, but it is our prayer that, hopefully, readers of this issue of Theology for Life will grow in their understanding of it so they can stand fast on the Word of God.
If you’ve found this issue helpful and would like to study this subject further, please check out the following reading list below. These books are at the top of their genre in both excellence and readability.
- ‘Fundamentalism’ and the Word of God by Dr. J.I. Packer
- God Has Spoken: Revelation and the Bible by Dr. J.I. Packer
- Truth and Power: The Place of Scripture in the Christian Life by Dr. J.I. Packer
- Taking God at His Word by Dr. Kevin DeYoung
- Canon Revisited: Establishing the Origins and Authority of the New Testament Books by Dr. Michael Kruger
- The Erosion of Inerrancy in Evangelicalism: Responding to New Challenges to Biblical Authority by G.K. Beale
- The Doctrine of the Word of God by Dr. John Frame
- Inerrancy and Worldview: Answering Modern Challenges to the Bible by Dr. Vern Poythress
- Inerrancy and the Gospels: A God-Centered Approach to the Challenges of Harmonization by Dr. Vern Poythress
- The Inspiration and Authority of Scripture by Dr. B.B. Warfield
- Understanding Scripture: An Overview of the Bible’s Origin, Reliability, and Meaning by Drs. Wayne Grudem, C. John Collins, and Thomas Schreiner
- From the Mouth of God: Trusting, Reading, and Applying the Bible by Dr. Sinclair Ferguson
- The Divine Original: Authority, Self-Evidencing Light, and Power of the Scriptures, vol. 16 of Owen’s Collected Works (Banner of Truth, 1988).
- Thy Word is Truth by E.J. Young
- Reformed Dogmatics: Prolegomena (vol. 1): Part IV: Revelation by Herman Bavinck (Baker Academic, 2003).
- Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bible’s Accuracy, Authority
andAuthenticity by James White
- Scripture Alone by R.C. Sproul
- God, Revelation, and Authority by Carl Henry
- The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment by Tim Challies
- Defining Deception by Costi Hinn and Anthony Wood
- Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung.
- Can I Know God’s Will? By R.C. Sproul
- God’s Will: Finding Guidance for Everyday Decisions by J.I. Packer and Carolyn Nystrom
I hope you find these as helpful in your Walk as I have.
In Christ Alone,
Executive Editor, Theology for Life Magazine