Recommended Reading on the Art and Science of Biblical Interpretation
This season at Servants of Grace, we’ve been considering Hermeneutics: the art and science of biblical interpretation. We are living in a time where many people—though Bibles are a plenty—are biblically illiterate, and don’t know how to interpret the Bible. With this issue of Theology for Life Magazine, it was our hope that readers would grow, not only in their understanding of how to interpret the Bible, but also the greater redemptive storyline of Scripture
If you’ve found this subject interesting and want to study the issue further, please check out the recommended reading list below. These books are at the top of this genre in both excellence and readability.
Doctrine of Scripture:
- Knowing Scripture by R.C. Sproul
- How to Get the Most from God’s Word by John MacArthur
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney
- Jesus on Every Page by David Murray
- The Inspiration and Authority of the Bible by B.B. Warfield.
- Preaching and Preachers by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
- Christ-Centered Preaching by Bryan Chapell
- Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today by John Stott.
- How to Preach Biblically by John Macarthur and the Master’s Seminary Faculty
- Feed my Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching Edited by Don Kistler.
- On The Preparation and Delivery of Sermons by John Broadus.
- Lectures to My Students by Charles Spurgeon
- Preaching Christ in All of Scripture by Ed Clowney
- Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture by Graeme Goldsworthy
Good Study Bibles:
- English Standard Version (ESV) Study Bible
- Reformation Study Bible
- MacArthur Study Bible
- ESV Readers Bibles
Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.