In this issue of Theology for Life Magazine, we’ve been considering the subject of biblical illiteracy. We understand that we haven’t covered everything on this topic, but it is our prayer that, hopefully, readers of this issue of Theology for Life will grow in their understanding of it so they can stand fast on the Word of God.
If you’ve found this issue helpful and would like to study this subject further, please check out the following reading list below. These books are at the top of their genre in both excellence and readability.Doctrine of Scripture:
- Taking God at His Word by Kevin DeYoung
- From the Mouth of God: Trusting, Reading, and Applying the Bible by Sinclair Ferguson
- Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bible’s Accuracy, Authority and Authenticity by James White
- Scripture Alone by R.C. Sproul
- The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment by Tim Challies
- Defining Deception by Costi Hinn and Anthony Wood
- Can I Know God’s Will? By R.C. Sproul
- God’s Will: Finding Guidance for Everyday Decisions by J.I. Packer and Carolyn Nystrom
- Preaching and Preachers by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
- Christ-Centered Preaching by Bryan Chapell
- How to Preach Biblically by John Macarthur and the Master’s Seminary Faculty
Good Study Bibles:
- English Standard Version (ESV) Study Bible
- Reformation Study Bible
- MacArthur Study Bible
I hope you’ll find these resources helpful as I have.
In Christ Alone,
Executive Editor, Theology for Life Magazine
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, the Host and Producer of Equipping You in Grace Podcast, and is a contributor to and producer of Contending for the Word. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021) and The Word Matters: Defending Biblical Authority Against the Spirit of the Age (G3 Press, 2022). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.