Recommended Books on the Five Solas, Church History, and Reformed Theology
This season at Servants of Grace, we’ve been considering the Five Solas and how we need Reformation inside the local Church. In our day, many believe that truth is all about how we feel, or dismiss the place of doctrine in the Christian Life. And yet some even believe they can live the Christian life without being part of the Church. With this issue of Theology of Life, we hope that readers grew to love the Five Solas and learn the need for Reformation in the Church. If you’ve found this subject interesting and want to study the issue further, please check out the recommended reading list below. These books are at the top of this genre in both excellence and readability.
The Five Solas:
- Whatever Happened to the Gospel of Grace?: Rediscovering the Doctrines that Shook the World by James Montgomery Boice
- After Darkness Light: Distinctives of Reformed Theology by R.C. Sproul Jr.
Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone):
- Sola Scriptura: The Protestant Position on the Bible (Various Authors)
- The Shape of Sola Scriptura by Keith A. Mathison
- Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bible’s Accuracy, Authority and Authenticity by James R. White
- Disputations on Holy Scripture by William Whitaker
- Thy Word Is Still Truth: Essential Writings from the Reformation to Today by Peter Lillback
- God’s Word Alone: The Authority of Scripture by Matthew Barrett
- 21 Questions on The Doctrine of Scripture (Free eBook) by Francis Turretin
Solus Christus (Christ Alone):
- In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life by Sinclair Ferguson
- Christ Alone by Rod Rosenbladt
- The Glory of Christ: His Office and Grace by John Owen
- Christ, the Believer’s Wisdom, Righteousness, Sanctification and Redemption (eBook) (Various Authors)
- Salvation Accomplished by the Son by Robert Peterson
- Our Sufficiency in Christ by John MacArthur
- Christ Alone: The Uniqueness of Jesus as Savior by Stephen Wellum
Sola Gratia (Grace Alone):
- By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me by Sinclair Ferguson
- Saved by Grace by Anthony A. Hoekema
- The Marrow of Modern Divinity by Edward Fisher
- Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther
- Saved by Grace by Herman Bavinck
- All of Grace (Click here for the free eBook) by C. H. Spurgeon
- The Plan of Salvation (download the free eBook here) by B. B. Warfield
- The Silver Thread: Augustine vs. Pelagius in Church History (eBook) by Augustine and John Calvin
- Grace Alone: Salvation as a Gift of God by Carl Trueman
Sola Fide (Faith Alone):
- Studies on Saving Faith by W. Pink
- The Doctrine of Justification (get the free eBook here ) by James Buchanan
- Justification: Understanding the Classic Reformed Doctrine by JV Fesko
- Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification by RC Sproul
- Faith Alone—The Doctrine of Justification: What the Reformers Taught and Why It Still Matters by Thomas R. Schreiner
Solis Deo Gloria (To God Alone be the Glory):
- God’s Glory Alone—The Majestic Heart of Christian Faith and Life: What the Reformers Taught and Why It Still Matters by David VanDrunen
- The Pleasures of God by John Piper
- God’s Greater Glory by Bruce Ware
- The Majesty of God in the Old Testamentby Walter C. Kaiser Jr.
- The Glory of God by Robert Peterson
- Living for God’s Glory by Joel Beeke
- The Unquenchable Flame by Michael Reeves
- The Reformation by Stephen Nichols
- Reformation Theology: A Systematic Summary edited by Dr. Matthew Barre
- Church History in Plain Language by Bruce Shelley
- 2000 Years of Christ’s Power by Nick Needham
- Putting Amazing Back Into Grace by Michael Horton.
- Introduction to the History of Christianity by Tim Dowley
- Meet the Puritans by Joel Beeke & Randall Pederson
- What Is Reformed Theology? by R.C. Sproul – This is a classic.
- Five Points by John Piper
- Killing Calvinism by Greg Dutcher.
- The Doctrines of Grace by James Montgomery Boice
- The Reformation by Stephen Nichols.
- Young, Restless, Reformed by Collin Hansen.
- The Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther.
- Foundation of Grace by Steve Lawson
- Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin
- Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine by Allison, Gregg R.
- The History of Christian Doctrines by Berkhof, Louis
- Heresies: Heresy and Orthodoxy in the History of the Church by Brown, Harold O. J.
- Historical Theology by Cunningham, William
- Thinking with the Church: Essays in Historical Theology by Gerrish, B.A.
- History of Theology by Hägglund, Bengt
- The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine(5 volumes) by Pelikan, Jaroslav
For more information on this subject, you can also check out https://servantsofgrace.org to view our many articles.
In Christ Alone,
Executive Editor Theology for Life Magazine