On the latest episode of the Equipping You in Grace Podcast, Dave Jenkins, and Marissa Henley discuss how to care for family, friends, and people in our local churches who may have cancer or another terminal illness, along with her book, Loving Your Friend Through Cancer: Moving Beyond I’m Sorry to Meaningful Support (P&R, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How to begin to care for friends or family or fellow church members who may have cancer.
- How to help those who have lost their parents as adults to cancer.
- Providing Christ-centered care to a spouse and family members who have lost their parents to cancer.
- Some long-term strategies pastors and others caring for people living with cancer can take to help walk with people living with cancer.
- How to respond appropriately and caringly to those who have heard the news they have a chronic or terminal illness.
- How to be a good friend to someone living with cancer and help them with their physical, emotional, and any other needs they might have.
- Providing support and care to cancer survivors to help them face this new reality.
- Learning to listen better.
- How to point our friends to Christ who may have cancer or a terminal illness.
About the Guest
Marissa Henley is a cancer survivor who writes and speaks about faith, friendship, God’s character, and suffering. She lives in Arkansas with her husband, three children, and one disobedient dog.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.