On the latest Equipping You in Grace episode, Dave Jenkins, and Landon Coleman talk about the importance of friendship in ministry, along with advice for ministry leaders, and mentoring, and his book Pastor to Pastor Practical Advice for Regular Pastors (Rainer Publishing, 2016).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- The importance of friendship in ministry for encouragement, prayer, and support.
- The importance of listening well to people to love and serve them.
- Learning to face the fear of man in the fear of God to love God and people.
- Older men mentoring younger men.
- Younger guys seeking mentoring from older men.
- What a regular pastor is.
- How to tell a seasoned pastor from an inexperienced one.
- Several useful pieces of advice to seminarians preparing for pastoral ministry.
- Advice to new pastors and ministry leaders getting started in their first vocational role.
- Online seminary verses seminary face-to-face.
About the Guest
Landon Coleman serves as the teaching pastor of Immanuel Baptist Church in Odessa, Texas, where he lives with his wife Brooke. They have four children, Emma, Noelle, Amelia, and Clayton. Landon is a two-time graduate of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky (MDiv and PhD). He has pastored churches in Kentucky and Oklahoma, and he has taught Old Testament as an adjunct professor at Oklahoma Baptist University and BH Carroll Theological Institute.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.