On today’s Equipping You in Grace episode, Dave Jenkins and Greg Gilbert discuss the Bible’s teaching on assurance and how to minister to those struggling with issues related to assurance with the gospel, along with his book, Assured- Discover Grace, Let Go of Guilt and Rest in Your Salvation (Baker, 2019).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How the gospel provides assurance for Christians.
- The primary sources of assurance for the Christian.
- The relationship between assurance and perseverance.
- How pastors should minister to people in their congregations on topics related to guilt, shame, and condemnation.
- Ministering to those in our congregations who struggle with doubt.
- How the promises of God help Christians struggling with assurance.
- Why it’s important that Christians understand the Bible’s teaching on the Holy Spirit’s witness in their lives.
- Some lies Christians believe on the topic of assurance and how they fight against these lies.
- What role our good works play in our assurance.
- A brief outline on the issue of besetting sins.
- How Christians can strive to grow in their assurance.
- Why our security in Christ is secure, but our fellowship with God can be broken by sin.
About the Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. Ifyou like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.