On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, Dave and Graham Cole have a wide-ranging conversation about the nature of Scripture, redemptive history, why sound theological foundations matter, and his new book, Faithful Theology: An Introduction (Crossway, 2020).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Why theological foundations matter.
- What real biblical application means and why it matters.
- How Scripture interpreting Scripture should affect our preaching and application in our teaching of Scripture.
- What redemptive history is and why it’s so important.
- Why biblical wisdom and biblical understanding helps Christians helps the people of God be discerning.
- Why Jesus is the master of asking qreat questions and why that’s important.
- How worship connects to all of life down to the most mundane activities of life.
- Why the text of Scripture is vital to doing theology in an evangelical way.
- A few of the keys to having a Reformed hermeneutic.
- How important biblical meditation is to our reading and understanding of Scripture.
- How a right understanding of Sola Scriptura helps Christians understand the place and importance of what the Church has taught about Scripture itself.
- Why theological thinking requires historical thinking.
- How doing theology outside of Eden affects our ability to do it well.
- How the gospel transforms our ability to do faithful theology.
- What the place of biblical wisdom is in our theology.
- What the place of questions and questioning is in our Christian life in light of what Scripture teaches.
- What the place of worship is and it’s aim in our lives as we seek to be faithful theologians.
About the Guest
Graham A. Cole (ThD, Australian College of Theology) is the dean and professor of biblical and systematic theology at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. An ordained Anglican minister, he has served in two parishes and was formerly the principal of Ridley College. Graham lives in Libertyville, Illinois, with his wife, Jules. He is a member at Church of the Redeemer in Highwood, Illinois. He is the Dean, Vice President of Education, and Professor of Biblical and Systematic Theology, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School; author, He Who Gives Life and Faithful Theology.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show). You can also connect with me on Twitter at @davejjenkins, on Facebook or via email to share your feedback.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!