Welcome to the fifty-ninth episode of Equipping You in Grace. On today’s episode, Dave Jenkins interviews Dr. Bruce Ashord about his book One Nation Under God: A Christian Hope for American Politics (B&H Academic, 2015)
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Dr. Ashford’s life, ministry, marriage, and his current ministry projects.
- Why politics is so difficult for Christians to navigate.
- Some of the biggest misconceptions that Christians today have about politics.
- How to be passionate about the gospel and care deeply about politics.
- What readers gain from reading this book especially in light of recent elections.
- How Christians should view the relationship between religion and politics, and between church and state.
- Some of the most appropriate and effective ways to live out our Christianity in public, especially when most of the people around us disagree with our evangelical convictions.
- Some basic biblical principles that will help Christians get a handle on public policy issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, the economy, the environment, race relations, immigration, and war.
About the Author:
Bruce Riley Ashford is Provost / Dean of the Faculty at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, where he also serves as Professor of Theology and Culture. He is a Fellow in Theology at the St. George’s Center for Biblical and Public Theology (Ontario, Canada) and a Research Fellow at the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this week’s episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to his wife, Sarah. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, the Host and Producer of Equipping You in Grace Podcast, and is a contributor to and producer of Contending for the Word. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021), The Word Matters: Defending Biblical Authority Against the Spirit of the Age (G3 Press, 2022), and Contentment: The Journey of a Lifetime (Theology for Life, 2024). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.