Welcome to the 149th episode of Equipping You in Grace. On today’s episode, Dave Jenkins talks with Owen Strachan about his book, The Essential Jonathan Edwards: An Introduction to the Life and Teaching of America’s Greatest Theologian (Moody, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How Jonathan Edwards help Christians to learn to love, treasure, proclaim and adorn sound doctrine.
- How Edwards use of examples from nature help Christians become better thinkers and writers.
- How Christians can regain a biblical understanding of beauty as Edwards understood it.
- How we can regain a biblical understanding of revival as Edwards taught it.
- How Edwards helps Christian men and Christian leaders regain a biblical understanding of shepherding in the home.
- How Edwards dedication to growing in the knowledge of God helps pastors and ministry leaders become better pastor-theologians, today.
- The relevancy of Edwards inside and outside the church today.
- The legacy of Jonathan Edwards.
- What men like Jonathan Edwards would look like today regarding their approach to the Christian life and ministry.
About the Guest
OWEN STRACHAN is Associate Professor of Christian Theology at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is also the Director for the Center on Public Theology at MBTS. He holds a PhD from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, an MDiv from Southern Seminary, and an AB from Bowdoin College. Strachan has published fourteen books and writes regularly for The Gospel Coalition, the Christian Post, and Thoughtlife, his Patheos blog. He is married and is the father of three children. Strachan hosts the City of God podcast available at https://cpt.mbts.edu.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.