On today’s Equipping You in Grace Show, Dave Jenkins and Dr. Derek Thomas talk about the role Calvin’s Institutes has played in Reformed theology, Calvin and the book of Job, the doctrine of providence, and why we the Church needs more pastor-scholars like Calvin, along with his edited volume with John Tweedale, John Calvin for a New Reformation (Crossway, 2019).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- The role Calvin’s Institutes played in the history of Reformed thought.
- What those who haven’t read the Institutes before can expect to find as they read it.
- The significance of how Calvin viewed the book of Job as a book about the doctrine of providence.
- How the providence of God helps Christians to learn patience and grow in the grace of God.
- Why it’s critical for Christians to understand the fatherly love of God in the midst of our trial
- Why is it so crucial for Christians to understand the fatherly love of God in the middle of our various trials.
- The role friendship played in the life and ministry of John Calvin.
- Why we again need men like John Calvin in the Church and what such men look like in terms of their ministries.
- The importance of the doctrine of adoption in the Christian life.
- The importance of the doctrine of sonship in the Christian life.
- The need for pastor scholars today.
- The value of good Christian books for the Christian life.
About the Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show). You can also connect with me on Twitter at @davejjenkins, on Facebook or via email to share your feedback.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!