On the latest episode of the Equipping You in Grace Podcast, Dave Jenkins, and David Jones discuss the importance of Christians stewarding their lives in the physical world for the gospel, along with his book, Every Good Thing: An Introduction to the Material World and the Common Good for Christians (Lexham Press, 2016).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Why Christians should be concerned with the material world as a worldview and lifeview on issues related to economics and stewardship.
- The four ways in which the material wealth/poverty and spiritual wealth/poverty are connected.
- The problem of workaholism and burnout and how Christians can recover a healthy work-life
- How Christians can be against the prosperity gospel but not against having wealth and steward wealth by giving to the local church to spread the fame of Christ to the nations.
- How competing worldviews make it difficult for Christians to cultivate a Christian view of creation.
- How cultivating a Christian understanding of the material world helps Christians through the grace of God live in the material world for the common good of others.
About the Guest
David W. Jones serves as professor of Christian ethics, associate dean for graduate program administration, and director of the Th.M. program at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. He has authored or coauthored six books and more than a dozen articles that have appeared in various academic publications. He resides in North Carolina with his wife and children.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.