On today’s Equipping You in Grace Episode, Dave Jenkins and Dr. Bryan Chapell discuss what expository preaching is, challenges facing pastors today, along with the third edition of Christ Centered Preaching Redeeming the Expository Sermon (Baker Academic, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- What expository preaching is and how pastors can be sure they are preaching expository sermons.
- A brief history of expository preaching.
- Some of the most significant challenges for the young man fresh out of seminary and beginning to preach.
- The biblical convictions behind expository preaching.
- Some of the most significant challenges facing pastors in the current cultural climate.
- The role spiritual disciplines should take in sermon preparation.
- What a redemptive approach to preaching should look like as pastors prepare expository sermons.
- Principles of application that should guide pastors as they work on the application section of their sermons.
About the Guest
Bryan Chapell (PhD, Southern Illinois University) is senior pastor of Grace Presbyterian Church in Peoria, Illinois, as well as president emeritus at Covenant Theological Seminary and distinguished professor of preaching at Knox Theological Seminary. Chapell is a widely traveled speaker and the author of numerous books.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.