On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, Dave and Alisa Childers discuss some of the markers of progressive Christianity and what to watch out for, the importance of reading the Bible to avoid error, and our convictions about the Bible, her process of deconstruction and the reconstruction of her Christian faith, along with her new book, Another Gospel? A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity (Tyndale, 2020).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Some markers of progressive Christianity and what to watch out for.
- The importance of reading the Bible to avoid doctrinal error.
- Advice for those who listen to progressive Christian podcasts or progressive Christian books.
- Why what we believe about the Bible matters so much.
- Why Christians should know the rich intellectual history of the Christian faith.
- Why Christians should be afraid to ask questions and to receive answers from the Word of God.
- What it looks like in our local churches for pastors and elders to provide a safe place for questions of doubters and to engage with the intellectual side of the Christian faith.
- The process of deconstruction and reconstruction of Alisa went through.
- What it means to stand upon the Word of God in a culture of doubt.
About the Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show). You can also connect with me on Twitter at @davejjenkins, on Facebook, or via email to share your feedback.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.