Welcome to the fifty-second episode of Equipping You in Grace. On today’s episode, Dave Jenkins interviews Dr. David Prince about his book In the Arena: The Promise of Sports for Christian Discipleship (B&H, 2016).
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- David’s life, ministry, marriage, and his current ministry projects.
- How Christians should think about sports from an explicitly biblical worldview.
- How Christians should view being a fan of their sport teams while being sensitive to share more about Jesus.
- How sports and spiritual warfare go together.
- How Christians should pursue sports as a form of their discipleship.
- How can engaging in sports help Christians learn to build their identity around Christ.
- Courageous convictions verses safe sentimentality.
- How Christian’s interest in sports can be instructive and spur them on toward faithfulness to the gospel.
About the Author:
David E. Prince is pastor of preaching and vision at Ashland Avenue Baptist Church in Lexington, Kentucky and assistant professor of Christian preaching at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is the author of In the Arena and Church with Jesus as the Hero. He frequently writes for The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, For the Church, the BGEA and Preaching Today.
He received his M.Div from Southwestern Theological Seminary and his Ph.D from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
He is married to Judi and they have eight children (three boys and five girls). He is a baseball aficionado and an avid Atlanta Braves fan, but he also enjoys football (rolltide) and basketball. When he isn’t spending time with his family, or playing sports with his kids, he can usually be found reading. His list of influential authors include: Edmund Clowney, Andrew Fuller, George Eldon Ladd, Graeme Goldsworthy, Irenaeus, John MacArthur, John Piper, Tom Schreiner, and Russell Moore.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this week’s episode of Equipping You in Grace!