On today’s Equipping You in Grace Episode, Dave Jenkins and Tim Chester discuss the Reformation and how it continues affects the Christian life and ministry today, along with his book, Reforming Joy: A Conversation Between Paul, the Reformers, and the Church Today (Crossway, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How the Reformation was a rediscovery of joy in the Lord.
- Why it’s important that during the Reformation ultimate authority in Scripture alone was rediscovered and clearly.
- The dangers of relativism and subjectivism inside and outside the church.
- The significance of Luther’s discovery of the righteousness of God for his own life and for the Reformation as a whole.
- Why the rediscovering of preaching the gospel during the Reformation was so essential, along with implications for this rediscovery in our own day.
- Why the doctrine of adoption Is central to a robust understanding of the gospel and how Christians can grow in their knowledge of this doctrine today.
- What it looks like in practice for Christians to walk in the Holy Spirit.
- Connections between Galatians, the Reformation, and the Holy Spirit.
About the Guest
Tim Chester (PhD, University of Wales) is a faculty member of Crosslands and a pastor with Grace Church, Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire. He is an author or coauthor of over thirty books, including A Meal with Jesus; Reforming Joy; and, with Michael Reeves, Why the Reformation Still Matters.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!