On today’s Equipping You in Grace Episode, Dave Jenkins and Tim Chester discuss the Reformation and how it continues affects the Christian life and ministry today, along with his book, Reforming Joy: A Conversation Between Paul, the Reformers, and the Church Today (Crossway, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How the Reformation was a rediscovery of joy in the Lord.
- Why it’s important that during the Reformation ultimate authority in Scripture alone was rediscovered and clearly.
- The dangers of relativism and subjectivism inside and outside the church.
- The significance of Luther’s discovery of the righteousness of God for his own life and for the Reformation as a whole.
- Why the rediscovering of preaching the gospel during the Reformation was so essential, along with implications for this rediscovery in our own day.
- Why the doctrine of adoption Is central to a robust understanding of the gospel and how Christians can grow in their knowledge of this doctrine today.
- What it looks like in practice for Christians to walk in the Holy Spirit.
- Connections between Galatians, the Reformation, and the Holy Spirit.
About the Guest
Tim Chester (PhD, University of Wales) is a faculty member of Crosslands and a pastor with Grace Church, Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire. He is an author or coauthor of over thirty books, including A Meal with Jesus; Reforming Joy; and, with Michael Reeves, Why the Reformation Still Matters.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.