On today’s Equipping You in Grace episode, Dave and Steve Hoppe talk about the importance of open and honest communication in marriage, friendship in marriage, some of the best ways to resolve conflict in marriage, along with his devotional, Marriage Conflict Talking As Teammates (P&R, 2020).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- The importance of bringing your marriage into the local church and how to do that in a biblical, safe, and helpful way.
- Why open and honest communication is so vital in marriage.
- Some of the best ways to resolve conflict in marriage.
- The role of keeping short accounts with the Lord plays in keeping short accounts with our spouse.
- The importance of friendship in marriage and advice for couples in growing in friendship with one another.
- The role the local church has in helping spouses handle conflict well in their marriage.
- The importance of building trust in a marriage and how to go about that in your marriage.
- Advice for pastors and ministry leaders on helping cultivate healthy marriages and equip married couples in our local churches.
About the Guest
Steve Hoppe (MDiv, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary; Advanced Counseling Certificate, Christian Counseling and Education Foundation) is executive director of Crosstown Counseling LLC in New York. Previously, Steve served as the pastor of counseling at Park Community Church of Chicago.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show). You can also connect with me on Twitter at @davejjenkins, on Facebook, or via email to share your feedback.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to his wife, Sarah. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, the Host and Producer of Equipping You in Grace Podcast, and is a contributor to and producer of Contending for the Word. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021), The Word Matters: Defending Biblical Authority Against the Spirit of the Age (G3 Press, 2022), and Contentment: The Journey of a Lifetime (Theology for Life, 2024). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.