On today’s Equipping You in Grace show Dave Jenkins and Patrick Schreiner talk about the early churches use of Matthew’s Gospel in discipleship, Jesus in the wilderness and spiritual warfare, and advice for pastors and Bible teachers teaching through Matthew, along with his book, Matthew, Disciple and Scribe: The First Gospel and Its Portrait of Jesus (Baker Academic, 2019).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Advice for Christians reading and studying the Gospel of Matthew
- Advice for Pastors or Bible teachers who want to be faithful in their teaching of Matthew while pointing people from the text they are teaching to the Lord Jesus.
- How to interpret the difficult passages in Matthew.
- The central theme of Matthew’s Gospel.
- How the early church used the Gospel of Matthew for discipleship.
- Why it’s vital that Matthew is not only a disciple of Jesus, the teacher of wisdom but also a discipled scribe.
- What Jesus interaction in Matthew 4 has to teach Christians today about spiritual warfare.
- What Matthew teaches about the Great Commission and why it’s so important.
About the Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. Ifyou like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!