On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, Dave and Dr. Matthew Barrett discuss Scriptural authority and biblical Trinitarian Christology, help in reading the Gospels of Matthew and John, and why Jesus’ authoritative interpretation is the key to understanding how the mighty acts are given to fulfill the covenant promises, along with his book, Canon, Covenant, and Christology Rethinking Jesus And The Scriptures Of Israel (IVP, 2020).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Why it’s crucial, we understand the Scripture Jesus read and inherited within His Jewish context were the Scriptures of Israel.
- Why Jesus’ authoritative interpretation is the hermeneutical key to understanding how the mighty acts are given to fulfill the covenant promises of God.
- Why the act of fulfillment is so important to Matthew and John’s Gospel and why it helps Christians to read the Gospels.
- Why it’s essential that our understanding of Scriptural authority be rooted in biblical Trinitarian Christology.
- Help for evangelicals to understand why they have superior Christological warrant for their view of Scripture than that of their critics.
- What it looks like to situate our doctrine of Scripture within the structure of divine revelation itself.
About the Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show). You can also connect with me on Twitter at @davejjenkins, on Facebook or via email to share your feedback.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.