On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, Dave Jenkins and Kevin Vanhoozer discuss the biblical disciplined imagination, walking in a manner worthy of the calling we’ve received, the work of pastor-theologians, along with his book, Hearers and Doers: A Pastor’s Guide to Making Disciples Through Scripture and Doctrine (Lexham Press, 2019).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- What the theological interpretation of Scripture is.
- How biblical and theological interpretation are both similar and different from one another.
- In what way does theology serve the church because doctrine serves discipleship, and biblical interpretation when done the right way.
- How church leaders can make disciples by better enabling them to critically examine images and stories in light of the biblical images and stories by which they ought to live in.
- What it means that the pastors is to be an eye doctor and general practitioner of the church, along with how it relates to the pastor as pastor-theologian.
- What distinguishes the biblically disciplined imagination from the non-disciplined imagination.
- Why walking in a manner worthy of the calling the Christian has received is so important.
- In what way biblical interpretation is like a theatrical performance.
- Advice for the pastor who desires not only to be a good pastor-theologian but eye-doctor and general practitioner of the church but may not be sure where to start.
- Consider checking out the work of the Center for Pastor-Theologians at https://www.pastortheologians.com/
About the Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. Ifyou like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!