On the latest episode of the Equipping You in Grace Podcast, Dave Jenkins and John Onwuchekwa discuss the importance of corporate prayer in the life of the Christian and local church, along with his book, Prayer: How Praying Together Shapes the Church (Crossway, 2018)
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Learning to be historians of prayer by track the answers to answer prayer to give thanks to the Lord for answered prayer.
- The High Priestly Ministry of Jesus and the Christian’s prayer life.
- Discouragement and prayer.
- Prayer as not only the oxygen for the Christian life but also a source of life for the community of faith.
- How Pastors and ministry leaders can equip the people in their congregations to pray not only before the service but also during the week.
- How prayer in Scripture is linked to the hope of redemption.
- How prayer has not only a gospel-shape but also a local church shape.
- What preaching a series of sermons through the Lord’s Prayer looks like.
- How the local church takes the theory of Christianity and makes it tangible in love, deed, and in prayer.
- The features of corporate prayer and how the ACTS model helps God’s people learn to pray corporately.
- The importance of corporate prayer in the life of the local church.
- Some strategies for running and starting a prayer meeting.
- Some of the temptations to fight as pastors begin to engage and help lead God’s people in learning to pray corporately.
About the Guest
John Onwuchekwa (MA, Dallas Theological Seminary) serves as pastor of Cornerstone Church in Atlanta, Georgia.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.