Welcome to the 136th episode of Equipping You in Grace. On today’s episode, Dave Jenkins talks with Patrick Schreiner about his book The Kingdom of God and the Glory of the Cross (Crossway, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How the Kingdom of God is a thematic framework for the narrative of Scripture.
- In what way the tree is one of the images that Scriptures regularly associates with the Kingdom of God.
- How the concept of the kingdom began in the garden with people, place, and power.
- The point of the Ten Commandments in relationship to the Kingdom of God.
- How history not only move on for the covenant God but how he pushes it forward through the power of His Word.
- How the kingdom promises concern all of life.
- How the Writings cast a choice between wisdom and folly, life and death.
- The distinctive aspects of the kingdom that each Gospel writer brings into focus.
- How Acts and the epistles unfold the kingdom community.
- How Revelation demonstrates the goal of the Kingdom.
- How understanding the Kingdom of God help us have a fuller understanding of the gospel.
- How the Kingdom of God help Christians to have a biblical worldview.
About the Guest
Patrick Schreiner (PhD, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) is assistant professor of New Testament and associate dean at Western Seminary in Portland, Oregon. He is the author of The Body of Jesus and various articles and essays.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parler, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.