Welcome to the 114th episode of Equipping You in Grace. On today’s episode, Dave Jenkins interviews Matt Carter and Aaron Ivey about their book Steal Away Home: Charles Spurgeon and Thomas Johnson, Unlikely Friends on the Passage to Freedom (B&H, 2017).
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Who Charles Spurgeon and Thomas Johnson are.
- How Thomas Johnson first came to learn about Charles Spurgeon.
- The first time the Johnsons came to the Spurgeon’s home.
- How Thomas Johnson regularly encouraged Charles Spurgeon.
- Why having friends in ministry is so important.
- Vulnerability in ministry and preaching.
- Ministering to Millennials.
- How ministry leaders should go about developing new leaders in the local church.
- The lessons we can learn from Thomas Johnson continued focus on the Lord in the midst of difficulty.
- How serious the problem of racism is today and how the Church should respond to it with the gospel.
Aaron Ivey is the Pastor of Worship at The Austin Stone Community Church in Austin, Texas, where he pastors a team of three hundred worship leaders, artists, storytellers, and musicians. Aaron has written and produced ten worship albums, and has written hundreds of congregational worship songs that are sung all over the world. His songwriting includes works represented in Worship Together, Jesus Culture, Capital Music Group, Doxology & Theology, and Austin Stone Worship. Passionate about mentoring and developing young leaders and world changers, Aaron spends much of his time communicating on topics of leadership, theology, art, and culture. He and his wife Jamie have been married for fifteen years, and have four children, Cayden, Amos, Deacon, and Story.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this week’s episode of Equipping You in Grace!