Welcome to the 105th episode of Equipping You in Grace. On today’s episode, Dave Jenkins interviews Carl Trueman– Grace Alone—Salvation as a Gift of God: What the Reformers Taught…and Why It Still Matters (Zondervan Academic, 2017).
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- A brief outline of the grace of God in Scripture.
- Augustine’s Confessions and the grace of God.
- The significance of Augustine’s battle with Pelagius.
- Thomas Aquinas an unexpected ally on the grace of God.
- Martin Luther’s discovery of justification by faith.
- How John Calvin and the Reformed tradition have contributed to our understanding of the grace of God.
- A brief outline of how the grace of God relates to the doctrine of the church.
- Why the preaching of the Word of God is the primary means of God’s grace.
- How the grace of God shaped the Reformers understanding of baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- Prayer as both a response to God’s grace and a means of God’s grace.
- The ten points of a church shaped by Sola Gratia.
About the Guest:
Carl Trueman is professor of Historical Theology and Church History at Westminster Theological Seminary. He is the author of numerous books, including The Creedal imperative: Histories and Fallacies; Goods Rush in Where Monkeys Fear to Tread; Republocat: Confessions of a Liberal Conservative; Reformation Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow; John Owen: Reformed, Catholic, Renaissance Man, Minority Report; and The Wages of Spin. Trueman is also a contributor to Reformation21 where he writes from a Reformed vantage point.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this week’s episode of Equipping You in Grace!
Dave Jenkins is happily married to Sarah Jenkins. He is a writer, editor, and speaker living in beautiful Southern Oregon. Dave is a lover of Christ, His people, the Church, and sound theology. He serves as the Executive Director of Servants of Grace Ministries, the Executive Editor of Theology for Life Magazine, and is the Host for the Equipping You in Grace Podcast. He is the author of The Word Explored: The Problem of Biblical Illiteracy and What To Do About It (House to House, 2021) and The Word Matters: Defending Biblical Authority Against the Spirit of the Age (G3 Press, 2022). You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, or read his newsletter. Dave loves to spend time with his wife, going to movies, eating at a nice restaurant, or going out for a round of golf with a good friend. He is also a voracious reader, in particular of Reformed theology, and the Puritans. You will often find him when he’s not busy with ministry reading a pile of the latest books from a wide variety of Christian publishers. Dave received his M.A.R. and M.Div through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.