On today’s Equipping You in Grace show, Dave Jenkins and Mark Vroegop have a wide-ranging conversation about learning to lament, the place and practice of lament in the Christian life and ministry, along with his book, Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy: Discovering the Grace of Lament (Crossway, 2019).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- The importance of lament for the Christian life.
- What lament looks like in practice.
- Times to practice lament and times not to practice lament.
- What it looks like to incorporate the practice of lament into the corporate gathering on the Lord’s Day.
- Advice for pastors wanting to preach on lament from the Bible.
- How lament helps grieving people.
- How suffering helps refine what we trust in and how we talk about our experience with suffering.
- How lament tunes the heart so it can sing about trust in God alone.
- How lament is a prism through which we see a path for growth in the grace of God.
- Some personal steps one might take in personal lament or in helping others learn about the practice of lament.
- How lament can help Christians to preach the gospel to themselves.
- How lament can help Christians who struggle with rejection understand more of the Lord Jesus.
- A definition of lament.
- How pastors can model lament to the people in their churches.
About the Guest
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. Ifyou like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!