On today’s Equipping You in Grace episode, Dave Jenkins and David Dunham discuss the place of Christians and local churches in helping those with addictions, along with his book, Addictive Habits: Changing for Good (P&R, 2018).
What you’ll hear in this episode
- A definition of addictions.
- Helpful books on addiction.
- How addicts begin to take responsibility for their actions, attitudes, thoughts, and desires, along with what they should do with them.
- How meditating on the character of God and on the person and work of Christ helps addicts begin to experience true and lasting change.
- How Christian friends and ministry leaders can help addicts develop a plan that will help prevent a relapse into their addiction.
- Why it’s so important for addicts to have a long-term carefully thought out plan for how to remain faithful to Christ.
- The place of the local church in helping addicts.
- How pastors and ministry leaders can help church members to walk with those facing addictions.
About the Guest
David R. Dunham ministers to people with addictions as pastor of counseling and discipleship at Cornerstone Baptist Church in Roseville, Michigan. He also writes and speaks about ministry, counseling, and addiction for the Biblical Counseling Coalition.
Subscribing, sharing, and your feedback
You can subscribe to Equipping You in Grace via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast catcher. If you like what you’ve heard, please consider leaving a rating and share it with your friends (it takes only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show).
Thanks for listening to this episode of Equipping You in Grace!